This actually started with a strange error, when I went to fire up a rails server in an app I’d been working on the night before.
Unable to load application: LoadError: dlopen(/Users/xxx/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.0/lib/ruby/2.3.0/x86_64-darwin14/readline.bundle, 9): Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/readline/lib/libreadline.6.dylib
Like I mentioned, I’d fired up this app less than 24 hours prior, so this was very strange to me. Some quick googling around suggested that I try to reinstall my ruby version so I ran the command
rvm reinstall 2.3.0
Well that errored out with another strange error
ruby-2.3.0 - #configuring........................................................... ruby-2.3.0 - #post-configuration. ruby-2.3.0 - #compiling........... Error running '__rvm_make -j 1', showing last 15 lines of /Users/xxx/.rvm/log/1476345601_ruby-2.3.0/make.log compiling enc/trans/newline.c compiling ./missing/explicit_bzero.c compiling ./missing/setproctitle.c compiling dmyenc.c linking miniruby dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime Referenced from: /Users/xxx/.rvm/src/ruby-2.3.0/./miniruby (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12) Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib dyld: Symbol not found: _clock_gettime Referenced from: /Users/xxx/.rvm/src/ruby-2.3.0/./miniruby (which was built for Mac OS X 10.12) Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib make: *** [.rbconfig.time] Trace/BPT trap: 5 ++ return 2 There has been an error while running make. Halting the installation.
You might notice the “(which was built for Mac OS X 10.12)”
which is a bit of a hint at what the problem is.
Because the last line hints the problem is with make, I decided to reinstall make with brew and it dumped the solution to the problem in my lap
brew install make Warning: You have Xcode 8 installed without the CLT; this causes certain builds to fail on OS X El Capitan (10.11). Please install the CLT via: sudo xcode-select --install
Basically I’d upgraded my Xcode version without installing command line tools. Once I ran this command, my rvm reinstall went fine and my readline problems went away.